There are several questions that might hit you being a beginner in the world of EDM. Questions like which equipment would work best? What is the latest software available? Will desktop or laptop would be most suitable? All these questions along with various other queries will be answered in this article. Here, we will talk about what you should know if you want to start recording through the latest EDM. The article will be really helpful for beginners as well as for the people who have already entered the electronic music world.
- The advancement of technology has resulted in the accessibility to produce music by anyone. For this, computers have become the main instrument for creating EDM. Along with that internet has also become an essential part of the electronic music culture.
- In EDM, the producer puts together various sounds, this can be compared to arranging several pieces of a puzzle. Then the soundtrack is completed and later the producer will export out their work into an audible file.
- If your question is how long does it take for an EDM producer to complete the entire track, literally there can’t be a unique answer. It totally depends on skills and inspiration as some artists complete it within a few hours, others might take weeks or months.
- You should know there is a massive difference between a music producer and DJ’s. A DJ is a performer whose task is to play tracks created by some other people for the live audience, whereas a music producer is a person who plays with hardware and software instruments to create and record all this on a computer.
- If you want to know which one is more beneficial, a PC or a laptop, you should know it is not that important. If you have adequate knowledge and can achieve quality, both can work. However, performers who play live shows prefer using laptops as they are handy and easy to carry on the road.
- There are certain things that you should keep in mind while purchasing a computer or a laptop for music production. They are it should have plenty of RAM, a high-speed hard drive, a strong processor, and a wide display with a good resolution.
- The next important hardware piece that would be essential for creating music is an audio interface, it is also popularly known as the “sound card”. The sound card is an expansion that provides input and output signals of audio to and from the computer. Without it, you won’t be able to hear your creation through the set of speakers.
- If you are interested in creating melodic music, a keyboard controller is what you need. These controllers are used for beats, sample-based tunes, and breaks. It would be great if you can purchase a controller which features both that is the keys and pads.
Some other tips for beginners would be to use an EQ, use a compressor to reduce dynamics, use spatial effects in accordance with your taste, mixing of different tracks, and explore various options.